Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Testimonial: Antoine Lane

A beacon of light....

At the beginning of last year, I made a goal to make GM
by the end of the shooting season. I put together a plan and began to
execute it. For those few individuals in this sport willing to first admit
that GM is a goal, then commit to making GM, this "journey" can be
especially taxing...and seemingly painful. I was inspired by Dave Re, who
was at the time also a Master class shooter, just like me, except there was
one HUGE difference. When we talked about the "journey", he deemed the
'Warrior's Walk', I was always left with the perception that he was already
a GM. Before he made Grandmaster, during one of our conversations, he
talked to me about goals he planned on accomplishing after he made GM.
Right then it hit me, and he told me, "Dude, you're already a GM, now you
gotta walk like you are!". A month later he made GM...and a couple of
months after that, I made GM. In hindsight I can see that I was so consumed
with the goal, I didn't appreciate the journey. That simple mental
perspective unshackled me psychologically, and in just two classifier
matches, I was there! That's why I call Dave "Ray"...a beacon of light.

-Antoine Lane, USPSA Grandmaster

No comments: