Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hanging a Shingle

I've wrestled a bit with exactly how to announce this. In the end that usually means I should just stop quibbling with myself and spout it out. So....

I'm now (officially) available for shooting training!

This is an exciting time for me. Teaching, for me, represents a multi-fold opportunity to give something back to the sport, and also another way to participate in the success of others. I've found that I really enjoy passing on the knowledge and experience that I've gained to other folks. That's part of the reason for this blog, of course.

If you're interested in discovering what I have to offer, please read on!


There are a few different ways to go about training, and they work with different degrees of success, depending on what your goals are, both as a trainer and a trainee. There are some broad categories - group training, and private - and some opportunities for more specialized programs. I can do them all - in this post, I'd like to lay out an idea for the third. If you'd like more information on the first two, please don't hesitate to contact me!

I've taken training in both group (small and large) and private formats, and gotten a lot out of both. As a trainee, group training requires that you really pay attention to all that is said to each participant in order to get the most out of it. Private training can be a lot like drinking from a firehose - more information than you can possibly retain in one sitting. Neither works without commitment from the trainee, of course, but that goes for any type of training.

What I'd like to offer is a slightly different spin - a more personalized, goal related training program designed to help you achieve the next steps in your shooting progress. For the sake of a snappy title, I call it the "Jump a Class Package". The package breaks down like this:


  • 8 hours of range time in the central Texas area (I can travel to you, too - additional expenses apply)

  • Basic skills assessment

  • Introduction to and application of a goal setting program, including review of current goals, and methods to attaining them

  • Phone and email consultation and coaching services

  • Performance review and critique via video and, if possible, in local match settings, during the training period

  • Drills and exercises to improve student skills will be detailed, and results reviewed during the training period.



Depending on the situation and the student's needs, the range time can be broken up into two 4 hour blocks, or combined with other students to make small group classes (max of 4). Aside from an initial skill assessment, the range sessions will focus on the skill improvements required to meet the student's goals. The training period would last from 3-4 months, and allows for followup and further reinforcement of the concepts and skills addressed in the goals and skill assessment. This "closing of the loop" is the strength of this package - with the other types of programs, you may not be able to easily spend more time with the trainer to insure that you learned the skills and are putting them fully into action.

Obviously, a trainee's success depends almost exclusively on their application of what they learn not just during training, but in the period following training, as well, as they put those newfound skills to work on their own. So, I can't guarantee your success, but I can definitely give you the best support possible on the way to your goals.

Questions? Thoughts? Hit me with 'em!!!

No comments: